EVERY WORD OF GOD FOR
by: pastor paul rika, international director of HOREMOW
EVERY WORD OF GOD FOR DAILY LIVING
BY: PASTOR PAUL RIKA, INTERNATIONAL DIRECTOR
Holiness Revival Movement Worldwide (HOREMOW)
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2022
TEXT: GENESIS 38:6-11
(6) And Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, whose name was Tamar.
(7) And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord; and the Lord slew him.
(8) And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.
(9) And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.
(10) And the thing which he did displeased the Lord: wherefore he slew him also.
(11) Then said Judah to Tamar his daughter in law, Remain a widow at thy father's house, till Shelah my son be grown: for he said, Lest peradventure he die also, as his brethren did. And Tamar went and dwelt in her father's house.
KEY VERSE: GENESIS 38:10
And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.
QUESTION: Is it proper to use contraceptives since Onan was killed by God because of withdrawal and spilling of semen on the ground during intercourse?
ANSWER: That is misinterpretation of Scripture. Onan was told to take his brother’s wife and produce a child because his brother died. He didn’t want it and he was spilling the semen on the ground so that no child should be formed. He didn’t want that act of love for his brother because he was a wicked person. God killed him, not because he was spilling on the ground but because of his reason for spilling on the ground. There are people who have wet dreams and wake up to discover they have spilled on the bed. Has God killed them? Onan’s sin was deliberate and planned; that of the heart. The Scripture is not against contraception done in love and good faith to achieve manageable family size.
Did God say there should be no birth control? He told Adam to be fruitful and multiply. How many male children did He give to Adam? Two! Abel died, he was replaced by Seth. God said be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth yet in Adam, there were only two sons recorded. It is not one family that should do it. God made Abraham a father of many nations but He gave Abraham only one child through Sarah. How many did He give Isaac? Two! Isaac was also to be fruitful and multiply. Let the Word of God dwell in you richly in all wisdom. If a man and his wife feel that for convenience and righteousness they only need two sons, will God judge them? They have not broken the law to be fruitful and multiply which is for all mankind not only for their family. Though God desires us to bear children, He expects us to apply or exercise wisdom in this regards. Having children is a blessing but if you do not control the number of your children you will live with a lot of regrets. It is advisable to have a sizeable number you can care for and still be righteous and faithful before God.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Let the Word of God dwell in you richly in all wisdom.
SONG FOR THE DAY: Abraham’s blessings are mine…
BIBLE READING FOR THE DAY: Jeremiah 9-10; 1Timothy 3
PASTOR PAUL RIKA